Daniel Good Rare Books and Engravings
1776 W. Watts after J Carter - Temple Architecture with plan - Hand colour
W. Watts after J Carter
Copper Engraving - Plate signed - 1776
26.7 x 19.9 cm. Later hand colour.
John Carter (1748–1817) was an English draughtsman and architect, an early advocate of the revival of Gothic architecture. In 1774 he was employed to execute drawings of St. Paul's Churchyard for the Builders Magazine, edited by Francis Newbery, for which he was to continue to draw until 1786. Between 1775 and 1778 he published almost 30 designs for Gothic buildings in the magazine. He insisted that the Gothic was the correct style for ecclesiastical structures, Classical modes being only suitable for "mansions and other structures of ease and pleasure".
Minor age toning.