Lithographed and drawn by Th. Deyrolle (1844-1923).
Leaf: 33.5 x 28 cm.
In loose Matting.
Fine and detailed original hand colour.
Published in 1874.
Théophile-Louis Deyrolle came from a family of entomologists and naturalists who owned a well-known taxidermy shop in Paris. Achille and Émile Deyrolle were among his relatives. Originally, he studied architecture at the École des Beaux-arts. While working for Joseph Auguste Émile Vaudremer, he met Alfred Guillou who convinced him to give up architecture for painting. He then became a student and assistant in the studios of Alexandre Cabanel and William Bouguereau. In 1871, he and Guillou left for Concarneau, Alfred's hometown, with nothing more than they could carry. The next year, he married Alfred's sister Suzanne, becoming a Breton by adoption. Suzanne Guillous was also an artist. Together, they founded the artists' colony there.