Giovanni Francesco Venturini (1650-1710) Fontana dell Aquile Estensi Tivoli Rome - Garden Architecture
Giovanni Francesco Venturini (1650-1710)
Fontana dell Aquile Estensi posta nelli Spartamenti del Piano del Giardino.
Published by Roma, Rossi, 1691.
22 x 32.7 cm plate size.
Engraving on laid paper.
The Villa d'Este, with its extensive gardens, is one of the most impressive and a testimonies to the Italian Renaissance. The complex, richly furnished garden was detailed with artistic water features, spreads out on the slope below the main building, which stands on a hilltop west of Tivoli. Originally built by the architect Pirro Ligorio for Cardinal Ippolito d'Este, Duke of Ferrara, between 1550 and 72, the engraving shows the state at the end of the 17th century.