1624 G. Laurus - Villa Publica Rome Italy - Copper engraving - Architecture
The Villa publica was a public building in ancient Rome, which served as the censors’ base of operation. It was erected on the Campus Martius in 435 BC. According to Livy, the first census was compiled there the year it was built. In 194 BC, the building, or buildings, was restored and enlarged. Villa publica meant "House of the People" and although its location is unknown (it has been conjectured that it actually constituted a series of buildings near the Circus Flaminius), it is known from ancient sources that its area was wide, and that, at one point, most likely following further renovations in 34 BC, a large wall was built around it. In addition to holding the censors’ records and acting as the censors’ base of operations, the Villa publica also served as a place where foreign ambassadors were greeted, where generals waited to hear if they would be granted a triumph, and it also acted as a base for army levies.
Lauro, Giacomo ( Jacobus Laurus )
Antiquae Urbis Splendor, Hoc Est Praecipua Eiusdem Templa Amphitheatra Theatra Circi Naumachiae Arcus Triumphales Mausolea .
Romae, Apresso Vitale Mascardi, Roma, 1612-1622.
FROM THE VERY SCARCE FIRST ISSUE ISSUED IN PARTS UNTIL 1622. CORRESPONDINGLY THE ENGRAVING ARE PARTICULARLY CRISP AND WELL DEFINED. In this, and only this, issue there is not text to the verso of the engravings
FINE ENGRAVING from one of the most influential and beautiful works on the monuments and antiquities of ancient Rome. The Antiquae urbis splendor, ('The Splendor of the Ancient City') served as an important reference book and source of inspiration for many writers and artists. Giacomo Lauro was a roman printmaker active from 1583 to about 1650.