1624 G. Laurus - SCARCE 1st ISSUE - Garden at Monte Pincio Rome copper engraving
Del Serenmo Gran duca di toscana Palazzo et giardino nel monte Pincio in Roma
Garden of the Grand Duke of Tuscany on the Monte Pincio. Villa Medici on the Monte Pincio. The garden of the Villa Medici at Monte Pincio were created in the late 1500s on the site of the ancient gardens of the Acilians near the field of Mars. Cardinal Ferdinando de' Medici, bought the villa and land in 1576. He then enlarged the garden on the north-east side by adding a piece of ground that had belonged to Catherine de’ Medici. He brought the villa and garden close to its present state. This garden design included antique statues and an obelisk. The earliest drawings, such as this one of Lauro’s, show the square garden bed design and fountain. Lauro’s drawing has a numbered key to many of the sculptures which Cardinal Ferdinando de' Medici bought in 1584 bought from the Palazzo Valle.
Lauro, Giacomo ( Jacobus Laurus )
Antiquae Urbis Splendor, Hoc Est Praecipua Eiusdem Templa Amphitheatra Theatra Circi Naumachiae Arcus Triumphales Mausolea .
Romae, Apresso Vitale Mascardi, Roma, 1612-1622.
FROM THE VERY SCARCE FIRST ISSUE ISSUED IN PARTS UNTIL 1622. CORRESPONDINGLY THE ENGRAVING ARE PARTICULARLY CRISP AND WELL DEFINED. In this, and only this, issue there is not text to the verso of the engravings
FINE ENGRAVING from one of the most influential and beautiful works on the monuments and antiquities of ancient Rome. The Antiquae urbis splendor, ('The Splendor of the Ancient City') served as an important reference book and source of inspiration for many writers and artists. Giacomo Lauro was a roman printmaker active from 1583 to about 1650. Leaf: 30 x 22 cm