Daniel Good Rare Books and Engravings
1612 G. Laurus - SCARCE 1st ISSUE - The Curia Saliorum, Rome - copper engraving - Classical architecture
The Curia Saliorum was located on the Palatine Hill. It was the meeting place for the Salii Palatini. The Salii were an ancient guild of priests dedicated to the service of Mars and the guardianship of the sacred shields, but they later branched out to serve other deities and were found all over Italy. In Rome, the Salii Palatini were located on the Palatine Hill and their festival season began in March.
Lauro, Giacomo ( Jacobus Laurus )
Antiquae Urbis Splendor, Hoc Est Praecipua Eiusdem Templa Amphitheatra Theatra Circi Naumachiae Arcus Triumphales Mausolea .
Romae, Apresso Vitale Mascardi, Roma, 1612-1622.
FROM THE VERY SCARCE FIRST ISSUE ISSUED IN PARTS UNTIL 1622. CORRESPONDINGLY THE ENGRAVING ARE PARTICULARLY CRISP AND WELL DEFINED. In this, and only this, issue there is no text to the verso of the engravings
FINE ENGRAVING from one of the most influential and beautiful works on the monuments and antiquities of ancient Rome. The Antiquae urbis splendor, ('The Splendor of the Ancient City') served as an important reference book and source of inspiration for many writers and artists. Giacomo Lauro was a roman printmaker active from 1583 to about 1650. Leaf: 30 x 22 cm
RARE EDITION WITH NO TEXT TO VERSO
Minor age toning to margins of top corners. Excellent impression.